We had some friends over to our home the other weekend and they brought the most delicious grain-free chocolate chip cookies with them. They were chewy, sweet and just happened to be “healthy” (well, “healthy-ish” at least).
My kids loved them. We devoured them that night, so naturally, I asked her for the recipe. When my friend sent it to me, it was handwritten on a post-it note, which made the recipe even that much more perfect.
I will fully admit that I’m guilty of getting most of my recipes from Pinterest or somewhere else online, so to get a handwritten recipe made my day. It took me right back to my mom’s old recipe box when I first fell in love with cooking. Anyone else relate? The handwritten recipe cards that were stained from spills or dirty fingers. They’re kind of the best. I love the convenience of finding recipes online for sure – but recipes written out on a piece of crinkled up scrap paper will always have my heart.
Since then, we’ve made these cookies several times. I love this recipe for a few reasons, but probably the first is just how easy they are. You dump all the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. That’s it. Dump, Mix, Bake. They couldn’t be easier – and a perfect recipe for kids.
The recipe is essentially an entire jar of cashew butter, coconut sugar, and a few eggs. We have a “tree-nut” allergy in our house, so we also played around with using peanut butter instead of cashew butter. They were still just as yummy but tasted a little more like a “peanut butter” cookie instead of a chocolate chip cookie. But if you have a tree-nut allergy in your home too, that’s an easy swap out for sure.
If you’re looking for something sweet and easy this afternoon, this is it. Happy baking, friends!
- 1 16 oz container of cashew butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- ¾ cups coconut sugar
- 2 eggs (or chia egg equivalent)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ½ tsp. of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 cup Llly's vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl (except the chocolate chips), and mix well until combined
- Then add in the chocolate chips and stir to combine
- Using a spoon and your hands scoop and shape dough into small balls (it helps if your hands are a little "wet" to shape dough balls). Place evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes
- Remove and carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool
- Dig in and enjoy!
For other “healhyish” chocolate treats be sure to check out our vegan chocolate nut bars, and our vegan chocolate brownies with hazelnuts and sea salt.