I love a good recipe that is full of flavors and textures. One that can be eaten hot, cold or even better the next day. And especially one that is tasty and delicious, but leaves me feeling great as well. Which is why I love this basmati rice and black lentil salad. It’s easy to assemble, makes great leftovers, and did I mention that it’s good for you too!
This salad is packed with so many flavors and textures. Starting with the creamy lentils, the juicy pomegranate seeds, and of course you can’t forget the star of the dish – those crispy fried shallots. Oh how I love those shallots.
For the dressing I wanted something light and refreshing, so I combined a little red wine vinegar with a ton of fresh orange juice and zest to give the salad a bright citrus note. The whole salad is clean and simple, but packed with so much flavor. A salad as delicious and satisfying, as it is beautiful.
- 2 cups of cooked basmati rice (or any rice of your choice)
- 2 cups of cooked lentils
- 1 cup of sliced cucumber
- 1 cup of pistachios
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 shallots, sliced into small rings
- 2 tbsps of flour
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 large orange
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegear
- ½ tsp of salt/pepper
- In the bottom of a large serving bowl add the zest and juice of one orange, the minced shallot, red wine vinegar, 4 tbsp of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt/pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the crispy shallots, heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a small frying pan (you want an even layer of about ¼-1/2 inch of olive oil in the pan) over medium heat. Toss the sliced shallots in the flour and coat evenly. When the oil is hot, carefully add the floured shallots in an even layer. Allow the shallots to brown for about 1-2 minutes (careful not to let them burn). Use a fork to gently turn/toss the shallots to the other side and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Once shallots are golden brown, remove them from the heat and place on a paper towel to dry. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad, directly into the dressing/serving bowl, add the cooked rice (preferably still warm from cooking), lentils, sliced cucumbers, pistachios, and pomegranate seeds. Gently combine and stir to ensure everything is coated in the dressing evenly. Taste and adjust seasoning adding more salt/pepper as necessary.
- Top the salad with the crispy shallots.
- Serve and enjoy