I don’t know about you, but right about 4 in the afternoon, the kids and I area always craving a little sweet treat. Cookies, cakes, we’re not picky, anything sweet will do. But I’ll be honest, I am NOT a baker. I can do a lot of things well, but baking is not one of them. Which is why I’m crazy about these super simple peanut butter and oatmeal cookies. They only requires five ingredients and are basically full proof. You couldn’t mess them up – even for someone like me.
This cookie recipe is a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen too. Get them measuring out the peanut butter, scooping the oatmeal and then mixing it all together. My oldest two love scooping out the dough, and then using forks to create that iconic peanut butter cookie grid (I don’t know where that started – but a PB cookie just isn’t complete without it).
But probably my kids favorite part of this recipe has to be drizzling the cookies with melted chocolate. I let them melt chocolate chips in the microwave and then use a spoon to drizzle the ooey gooey chocolate all over the warm cookies. It’s a fun way to get them involved, and a recipe most kids can do on their own with success. It’s a win win for everyone.
Plus these cookies are pretty darn delicious. They have a great tender chew, are salty and sweet, and of course are covered in chocolate. What else could you want? Sounds like the perfect 4 o’clock treat to me!
If you’re looking for a super simple cookie that is as delicious as it is easy, then this is it. Happy baking!
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- ¼ cup of coconut sugar
- ¼ cup of oats
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl combine peanut butter, egg, sugar and oats. Mix will. Chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degress
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a small scooper, scoop dough out into small balls (about 1 inch balls). Using a fork, press down evenly on cookie creating "fork marks".
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Transfer cookies to a drying rack and allow to cool
- Meanwhile, place chocolate chips in a glass bowl and microwave on low for about 15-20 seconds. Remove bowl and stir chocolate. Place bowl back in microwave and repeat for another 15-20 seconds. Continue until chocolate is fully melted (don't overheat/burn chocolate). Using a small spoon, drizzle chocolate over peanut butter cookies.
- Cool and enjoy!