I think you could probably label me as an obsessive purger, a minimalist, or an organization optimizer. I’m a girl who believes in less is more (except for when it comes to popcorn, that you can never have too much of). I like my life, and my home, as clean and streamlined as possible (which is almost impossible with four kids). So when it comes to my kitchen, you better believe that I take it to a whole other level. I like my countertops cleared off, and my kitchen drawers nice and neat. So because of this, I don’t have an overwhelming amount of gadgets, utensils, or serving dishes. Just my few favorites, that I use on repeat.
My kitchen is really only filled with things I LOVE ,and things I USE. So in honor of Mother’s Day, I decided to put together my top ten kitchen items that I am loving this spring, as inspiration for gifts to give this Mother’s Day. These are all things that I have, that I love, and that I use.
Most of these get used ever day (like my vitamix, fish spatula and zester). Other’s are special items that I turn to for inspiration (like the Love and Lemons cookbook) or use for entertaining (….can we just talk about those copper serving utensils. Just beautiful). Either way, If you’re looking for a gift for someone special this Mother’s Day look no further.
- I’ve had this Love and Lemons Cookbook for over a year and I am still finding so much inspiration from it. It’s a plant based cookbook with stunning images and unique ways of incorporating more plants into your diet. But don’t let that fool you, even my meat eating husband loves meals I make from this cookbook. It’s one of the best cookbooks I’ve seen in years.
- I’m a big believer of using great ingredients, even when it comes to something as simple as salt. I use sea salt in almost all of my recipes. To make it easier to work with, I keep a salt cellar on my countertop (I know, I said I don’t keep things on my counter, but salt is King in my house, so he can stay). Every kitchen should have one.
- I mean, do I really need to say anything? Don’t you just love them? My sweet mother gave me these gorgeous polished copper serving utensils for my birthday, and I use them for just about everything. From my crispy chickpea, kale and farro salad, to serving scrambled eggs to the kids on a Monday morning (why save your pretty stuff for just fancy entertaining….Monday mornings call for fancy utensils too). This beautiful serving set isn’t too expensive, is beautifully sleek, and has a great weight to them. They’d make a great gift, or would even look gorgeous in your own kitchen drawer.
- I have never been one to splurge on kitchen towels, but a few month ago I purchased these colorful tea towels from Anthropology and they just make me oh so happy. I then went and combed through my towel drawer and got rid of so many towels with stains, or frays and I gave my little towel drawer a gorgeous makeover. My towel drawer, and me, are much happier now every time I wash dishes (which is a lot). Plus they just look great on any counter. Such a simple change, but give a big wow factor.
- Ok, so I’m just gonna come out and say it….this is expensive. It is. There’s no way around it. However, I will tell you that we have personally had our vitamix (this is the Vitamix we own) since Lillian was born, which was over 7 years ago, and we use it almost every single day. It has never once dulled, faded in it’s power, or needed any type of maintenance. It is without a doubt the most used kitchen tool I have. In just one single day it will make us smoothies, salad dressings, soups and of course my favorite hummus. It has been worth every penny we invested in it. I know it may not be for everyone, but if you’re looking to make an investment in your kitchen, this is where I would put my money. Forget every other “tool”, and just get this. I promise you will thank me.
- So this little guy may be tiny, but he is oh so mighty. I love a good zester and use it almost daily. Every kitchen should have a good zester. I use it for everything from my salad dressings, to challah french toast, and of course my cauliflower curry. I can’t imagine not having a few of these in my kitchen drawer. A small investment, but something that you’ll reach for time and time again.
- If there was every going to be a “little black dress” of the kitchen, it would be a good, high quality, chef’s knife. Never goes out of style, always a great choice, and so versatile. In my opinion, if you’re only going to own one knife, this should be it. A good sharp knife is your best friend in the kitchen.
- Just as important as a great knife, so is a great cutting board. I use cutting boards for just about everything – from slicing my lemons for my morning lemon water, to making the kids lunches, to serving salads or appetizers on it. In fact I use my cutting board so often, that I keep a cutting board out at all times (ok, so another exception to my “nothing on the counter” rule ;)). Which is why I love a cutting board with a little style. This cutting board from Terrain is hearty and functional, but also gorgeous and stylish. It would look beautiful in just about every kitchen, and loved by just about every mom.
- Ok so I know this doesn’t seem like a very exciting gift. But in my mind, this fish spatula is a tool EVERY kitchen should have. In fact, I think it’s really the only spatula a kitchen needs. I use it for everything; from pancakes, to salmon, to chocolate chip cookies. It works beautifully. The ultra thin, long, spatula glides under food so smoothly that it makes turning, flipping, or lifting food a breeze. Every kitchen should have one (or two, or three) or these sleek, hardworking spatulas.
- I just recently fell in love with the Cherry Bombe Magazine this past year while spending some time in a great bookstore in NYC. Its an independently printed magazine celebrating women and food. Each issue features profiles, recipes, photos and artwork from some of the most talented writers, chefs, food stylists and illustrators around. The magazine is swoon worthy, and definitely a keepsake for any female in the food industry. So of course I was thrilled when Cherry Bombe released their first ever cookbook. “A compilation of crave-worthy recipes from 100+ of the coolest, most creative women around.” A must for any female who loves beautiful food. If you want to know what’s happening with women in food, NOW, this is it. I can’t think of a better gift for any food loving momma.
So there you have it, what I’m loving this spring in my own kitchen, and what I’m hoping your special “mom” will love too.