This chocolate coconut popcorn is such a fun easy twist on a sweet treat. A little salty, a little sweet, and a whole lot of yum.
It takes minutes to put together, is made with all pantry staple items you probably have, and is a great alternative to other “treats”.
I’ve been a huge popcorn lover for years. It’s probably my number one vice. But I don’t like just any popcorn. I’m very specific when it comes to my popcorn kernels, and my all-time favorite is Tiny but Mighty. Their kernels are small and tender and are great because they have so many nooks and ridges for all the salty-sweet yummy goodness.
And while “popcorn” seems like a relatively simple thing to make – I have a few specific things I do to make it “my way”.
- Lots and lots of good quality oil (I prefer unfiltered organic coconut oil)
- A big heavy bottom pan. I use my dutch oven which works great or a large Al-clad pot. Either way, it has to be something that’s heavy and substantial.
- Add in just a few kernels while you wait for the oil to heat up. Once those pop, then add in the other kernels
- Remove the lid about halfway through to let out the steam so your kernels don’t become “chewy”.
- Use a large bowl to place the popcorn in. Then gently “spin” the bowl as you pour over your olive oil/butter/toppings. Toss, and then repeat if needed. (I use a large oversized stainless steel bowl that we literally refer to as mom’s popcorn bowl. lol)
There are so many options when it comes to popcorn. You can really do anything. But this sweet twist is just a fun new variety that sneaks in a few superfoods. I use this unsweetened cacao powder mixed with a little bit of coconut sugar, and then a sprinkle of shredded coconut and these cacao sweet nibs (kind of like chocolate chips – only no dairy and filled with nutrients).
Here’s how I make this chocolate and coconut popcorn.
- 6 tbsps of coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup of tiny by mighty kernels (or other non-GMO popcorn kernels)
- ¼ of good quality coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- 2 tbsp of coconut sugar
- ¼ cup of shredded coconut
- ¼ cup of cacao nibs
- In a large dutch oven or heavy bottom pot, over medium heat, add the 6 tbsp of olive oil along with 2-3 popcorn kernels. Place the lid on the pot and wait.
- When you hear the kernels pop, add the remaining 1 cup of kernels. Give the pot a good "shake" to ensure all kernels are coated with oil evenly and place the pot back over the burner
- Allow kernels to cook/pop until the pot is about halfway full of popped popcorn (about a minute or two), then give another good "shake", and CAREFULLY remove the lid and allow the popcorn to continue cooking another minute or two.
- You will know the popcorn is "done" when you only hear a few kernels left popping.
- Remove from heat and pour the popped popcorn into a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining ¼ cup of coconut oil.
- In a small bowl combine and mix the cacao powder with the coconut sugar and a sprinkle of salt
- Then slowly, drizzle half of the coconut oil over the popped popcorn along with a sprinkle of the cacao/sugar mix. Toss and repeat.
- Then top with a final sprinkle of the cacao/sugar mix, the shredded coconut, and cacao nibs.
- Serve and enjoy
And for other fun popcorn inspiration, be sure to check out our recipe for olive oil and herb popcorn.