For the past few years, I’ve tried to be more mindful of my beauty and skincare routine. For the most part, I’ve always been conscious of what I put IN my body, but I wasn’t always as conscious or mindful of what I put ON my body.
All that changed a few years ago as I started becoming more and more aware of the dangerous amounts of toxins and chemicals that are found in our everyday beauty products. Products we use EVERY DAY, on our largest organ, our skin. Products that, unknowingly to us, contain harmful chemicals and toxins that have been linked to everything from asthma to cancer.
So over the past few years, I’ve consciously been making an effort to slowly swap out my once toxic beauty products, with safer, cleaner options.
A while back, I shared with all of you a few of my favorite clean beauty products that I discovered on this journey into cleaner beauty. But there’s one major player in the clean beauty industry I haven’t shared with all of you, yet, and that’s Beautycounter.
I’ve been watching and admiring Beautycounter from a distance for a while now and have always been so inspired by their mission of getting safer beauty products in the hands of everyone. Not only have they been making clean beauty products since 2013 (voluntarily eliminating over 1,500 questionable ingredients that are STILL LEGAL here in the US, which are known to have harmful side effects), but also helping to educate and advocate for safer beauty laws and regulations. They believe that access to CLEAN and SAFE beauty products is a right we all deserve.
And while I’ve always wholeheartedly believed in Beautycounter’s social mission, it wasn’t’ until a few weeks ago that I actually TRIED their products myself. I have friends who have been raving about them for years and thought it was finally time I gave Beautycounter a try too.
And you guys, I have to tell you, my only complaint is that I waited so long to finally understand what all the hype was about!! Everything I’ve tried, I have truly and authentically loved. And I’m a pretty tough critic.
So I wanted to take a few moments today to share with you a little about my journey into cleaner beauty with Beautycounter.
Here are the Beautycounter products I’ve tried so far, and my initial reactions….
The Countertime Collection features a plant-derived Reninatural Complex that is designed to firm, brighten and plump skin. Great for mature skin or anyone concerned with aging (Uhm, yes please!).
As you all know (because I’m pretty sure I shouted it from the rooftops), I turned 40 this year. And my skin was definitely showing it. While I have nothing against botox or other choices – they’re not for me. I want to age as gracefully and as naturally as I can – but I still want to feel GOOD. So the Countertime Collection is perfect for me.
I’ve been using it religiously for a few weeks now and have to say that I do see a difference. I don’t know that I look 25…..but also not quite like the eternally exhausted 40-year-old, mom of four, that I am ;). Maybe somewhere in between. My skin feels brighter, more even and my fine lines and crows feet aren’t quite as deep. For me, that’s is a win.
The collection consists of a range of products. It can all be used a set (which is what I chose to do) or you can use them individually.
Here’s what you’ll find in the Countertime Collection
- Countertime Lipid Defense Cleaning Oil
- A lightweight cleansing oil that gently and effectively cleanses the skin without stripping essential lipids. I personally LOVE this cleanser. I have been a huge proponent of oil cleansers for a while as I think they help keep my skin hydrated and healthy.
- Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence
- A deeply nourishing, but lightweight, milky hydrating essence that instantly delivers vital nutrients to the skin. I loved using this after cleansing my face and felt like my skin instantly soaked it up.
- Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum
- This to me is sort of the workhorse of the line. This is the rejuvenating treatment that’s going to help visibly reduce lines and help with firmness and elasticity. It contains Bakuchiol which is a plant-derived, natural retinol – without all of the harmful side effects that come with traditional retinol. Which is GREAT for anyone with sensitive skin. I traditionally can’t use many “anti-aging” products as they irritate my skin – but this was different. Gentle – but just as effective. If I was only going to use one thing from the line – this would be it.
- Contertime Antioxidant Soft Cream (day moisturizer)
- A great everyday moisturizer. I loved how this made my skin feel over the serum. My skin felt plump and firm – while still getting the added anti-aging benefits from the Retinatural Complex. This was another big winner for me.
- Countertime Terapeptide Supreme Cream (evening moisturizer)
- My new night-time obsession. Supremely rich and deeply hydrating, this cream helps with elasticity, firmness and fine lines. I felt like I woke up every morning with my skin feeling moisturized and radiant (well, as radiant as a mom with four little kids can be ;)).
- Countertime Ultra Renewal Eye Cream
- Ok so if I have one area of my skin that I’d love some extra help with – it would be my eyes. My eyes always tell the full story. How much sleep I’ve had (or haven’t had – IN A DECADE). How stressed I am. How I’m aging. My eyes tell it all. And I haven’t always seen a huge difference with eye creams – but I am loving this one so far. My eyes feel more awake. Fine lines seem visibly reduced. Plus it absorbs into my skin great and doesn’t irritate my eyes at all.
- Countertime Lipid Defense Cleaning Oil
I’ll share a more in-depth post next week about my experience with the “Flawless in Five”, but I have to just share quickly that I LOVE this little powerhouse kit.
This was my first time trying Beautycoutner make-up and I was expected to be unimpressed (sorry – just being totally transparent) and I was blown away.
A couple of key takeaways about this set.
- It literally has everything you need in one little bag. It couldn’t be easier. You don’t have to think about ANYTHING. Everything you need to feel polished and put together is right there. This (in my humble opinion) as all you need for a gorgeous effortless look
- It does NOT take five minutes. It takes 2. The first time I tried it, I had two minutes before running to pick the kids up from school. I literally used my fingers to apply everything – and you guys – it still looked great.
Two minutes. One little bag of goodies. I’m telling you – that’s all you need.
Since I’ve only been using Beautycounter products for about a month now, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I’m so excited to try more of their products. But so far, it has been a great experience. I’ve loved learning more about this company who is not only creating great products that I feel GOOD using – but also out there DOING GOOD. Something that makes me feel proud every time I pull out that red lipstick 😉
Beauty and skincare should be things that make us feel GOOD. They should be adding to our life, not harming us in any way. But I know that the idea of creating a “clean beauty routine” can feel overwhelming for a lot of us. So my advice, start slow and add as you go. Maybe challenge yourself to swap out one traditional beauty product with something that’s cleaner and safer for you. Even if that’s not Beautycounter. There are so many great options out there now for cleaner beauty. Maybe this month just pick one small thing. Every little change matters.
What about all of YOU?! What clean beauty products do you love? And what Beautycounter products should I try next?!! Tell me some of your favorites.