We are big taco lovers in our house. And I mean BIG. We probably have tacos every week (creatures of habit, what can I say). It’s one of my kids favorite week night meals.
While the kids and JonPaul love a recipe I make for chicken tacos (chicken thighs and enchilada sauce in a crockpot for three hours. It’s embarrassing how simple it is ;), as a vegetarian it’s not always as easy coming up with healthy and delicious options.
I’ve shared with all of you previously on the blog my spicy portabella tacos with avocado puree (which by the way, the avocado puree is heavenly…..I can not get enough), but I wanted to share a new twist I’ve been loving lately.
This new recipe uses quinoa, sweet potatoes and black beans. All tossed together and then topped with a crunchy slaw of radish, red onion and just a touch of jalapeno.
Quinoa is a great addition for any vegetarian dish because it’s a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids. I love it here because it provides a hearty, more satisfying, base for the black beans and sweet potatoes.
The sweet potatoes are sautéed, along with the black beans, in a spice mixture of cumin and chili powder, creating a wonderful balance of sweet and spicy. The crunchy slaw added on top, is the perfect addition of cool citrus with just a hint of heat. And of course I added a slice of avocado to mine, because I add avocado to just about anything. But these tacos aren’t short on flavor, so even without the addition of avocado, they are delicious.
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2½ cups of sweet potatoes, cut into ½" cubes
- 2 cups of black beans (I used dried and cooked them, but canned black beans work just as well)
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- for the radish slaw
- ½ of one red onion, sliced into 2" matchsticks
- 4-5 radishes, sliced into 2" matchsticks
- ½ of one jalapeno sliced into 2" matchsticks
- zest and juice of one lime
- salt/pepper to taste
- 6 corn or flour tortilla shells
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and cut sweet potatoes cubes. Allow sweet potatoes to cook, browning evenly on all sides for about 5-7 minutes
- Add black beans, cumin, chili powder, salt/pepper. Gently mix together and allow to cook over medium/low heat for 2-3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare slaw
- In a small bowl combine the chopped red onion, radish, and jalapeno. Add lime juice/zest, salt/pepper. Mix together gently and set aside
- To prepare tacos
- in a dry sauté pan heat tortilla shells until just beginning to show color (about 1 minute on each side).
- Next add a large spoonful of the cooked quinoa to the center of the shell
- Top the quinoa with a large spoonful of sweet potato and black mean mixture. Top it all off with a spoonful of the radish slaw
- Add an additional squeeze of lime or a slice or two of avocado and enjoy!
This is a great weeknight meal that can be prepared in 20 minutes, is healthy and of course tastes delicious. What more could a girl want from a taco!