The mornings are a zoo at or house. A complete mess. I swear I run (and I mean I literally run) up and down our stairs more times than I can count, collecting lost homework, socks, and tiny dinosaur collections for show-and-tell all before 7am (I still don’t understand why no one can seem to remember socks!). Getting four kids out the door for school every morning is a challenge to say the least.
So breakfast has to make my life simpler, not more complicated. It needs to be fast and easy. But I’ll be honest, I don’t really love the idea of my kids starting their days with processed cereals. Finding options that are both easy and healthy is really important.
Luckily my crew loves granola. Let me rephrase that, my crew loves yogurt, which I force them to eat with granola and fruit. So by default, they now love granola (this recipe is awesome with diced apples ;).
We’ve made a lot of different granola recipes over the years, but I think this is my favorite. I am crazy about all things pumpkin, and this certainly does not disappoint. The combination of cinnamon, pumpkin and pecan toasted pieces make it feel like a holiday treat.
The recipe uses an entire cup of pumpkin puree, along with maple syrup and honey, which gives it a great chewy texture. It never gets too crunchy, so it’s great for snacking too.
I’ve tried to keep the “sweeteners” with this down to a minimum, using only maple syrup and honey. I’ve also included chia seeds, shredded coconut and cacao nibs to sneak in a few superfoods. My kids love the addition of the cacao nibs and feel like they’re eating “chocolate” granola. And I feel great knowing all of the benefits this superfood provides.
This recipe is everything to me during the busy fall season. Healthy, easy and oh so yummy. And probably my favorite part…our house smells like heaven all day (you can thank me later 😉
- 2 cups of organic old fashioned oats
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of chopped pecans (or any nut of your choice)
- ¼ cup of raw cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- ¼ cup of honey
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, coconut, chia seeds, pecans, cacao nibs, cinnamon and salt. Gently mix together.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, honey, and vanilla. Mix.
- Slowly combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pour the granola mixture onto a baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and carefully "mix" the granola.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool
- Allow granola to cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container.