Lillian and I just returned home from a wonderful “girl’s night” in the city with my mom. They both have birthdays that fall around Thanksgiving, so we planned a special day in the city, just the three of us, to celebrate.
It’s hard to get time away with just us “girls”. With lots of other little ones at home, busy schedules, and a packed holiday schedule, finding time for just the three of us feels like such a treat.
We went into the city and had high tea at the Drake Hotel (which is beautifully decorated this time of year), swam in the hotel pool, and of course ordered room service for dinner in our robes (per Lillian’s request). It was a magical 24 hours.
But now we’re back home and I’ve got one thing on my mind…..Thanksgiving!
This year our little crew is staying local here in Chicago and going to my Aunt and Uncles for Thanksgiving dinner. I’m in charge of bringing a salad, and I’m debating on whether or not I should bring this kale and brussel sprout salad.
It’s everything I love about a good salad; a ton of different textures (crunchy and creamy), flavors (sweet and salty) and the best part, it couldn’t be simpler put together.
The dressing is made up of a ton of lemon juice, garlic, parmesan cheese and olive oil (I mean….the dressing alone I could eat with a spoon ;). Then you “massage” the dressing into the kale and brussel sprouts and let them marinate in the creamy garlicky dressing to become nice and tender.
Then I top it all off with creamy tangy goat cheese, salty walnuts and a handful of sweet juicy pomegranate seeds. I also added a few slices of roasted squash because I had them on hand. It added a nice sweet creamy element to the salad, but it’s completely optional. I’ve also made this plenty of times without the squash and it’s just as delicious. That’s the beauty of salads, they’re a blank canvas to add whatever you have on add. So feel free to play around with this recipe and make it your own!
This kale and brussel sprout salad has become one of my favorite fall recipes, and I have a feeling it will be one of yours as well.
- 4-5 cups of shredded brussel sprouts
- 4-5 cups of chopped kale
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ⅓ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup of good quality olive oil
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of freshly cracked pepper
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 cup of chopped, toasted walnuts
- ½ cup of crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup of pomegranate seeds
- (optional garnish, slices of roasted delicata or acorn squash)
- In a large serving bowl, add the juice of two lemons, the shredded parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, dijon mustard, and salt/pepper. Whisk vigorously until a thick creamy dressing forms.
- Add the shredded brussel sprouts and kale. "Massage" the kale and brussel sprouts with the dressing for about a minute. Then let the greens sit and become tender for about 20-30 minutes.
- Next, transfer the marinated greens to your serving bowl or dish (if not already in your preferred serving dish). Top with generous amounts of crumbled goat cheese, toasted walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. Serve and enjoy!